Lucy Stevens - 6th May 2022
The theme of this year’s Foster Care Fortnight is “Fostering Communities” #FosteringCommunities. From 9th to 22nd May, we will be looking at different aspects of fostering communities and what they mean to children and foster carers.
What is a fostering community?
A fostering community is any group of people or organisations that provide a wider network of support or encouragement to both foster carers and the children and young people they care for. We would argue that fostering communities can also be spontaneous, occurring during opportunities for carers and children to socialise and have fun.
Why are fostering communities important?
Fostering communities, in all their various guises are a crucial part of fostering. They offer foster carers and children invaluable support and encouragement. They are vital in ensuring that fostering relationships are maintained, that carers feel heard and supported and in helping children and young people to thrive. When it comes to fostering, nothing is done in isolation. As the adage goes, it takes a community to raise a child. This is certainly true for fostering. Whilst the main onus is on the foster carers, there are a whole number of people and professionals that can make a profound difference in the lives of the children and young people we care for. It is these people, organisations and opportunities that we wish to celebrate this Foster Care Fortnight.
Foster Care Fortnight and Fostering Communities!
Keep an eye out for us on Facebook and Instagram this May as we shine a light on fostering communities and express our gratitude for them. We’ll be giving you:
- Insight into the Eastern Fostering Services Fostering Community
- An understanding of the support that Eastern Fostering Services offers carers and the difference this can make in transforming lives
- Thoughts from our foster carers on what Fostering Communities mean to them
- Contributions from our children on what they love about being part of our fostering community
- A glimpse of the events that allow communities to form and expand
- A look at the Eastern Fostering Services team and what fostering, and community means to us
- A guide to the professional community that play such an important role in advocating for children and young people
As ever, if you are inspired to start your fostering journey this Foster Care Fortnight, please get in touch via our website, by email at email@example.com or give us a call on 01206 299775.